Re: How to unmute the sound?

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 06:11:52PM +0530, Kushal Kumaran wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 12:39:12 +0100
> Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:
[...]
> > How do you supply options to modules?  I could try it anyway.
> >

> You add them to your modprobe command line, like so:
> modprobe snd-hda-intel model=5stack
>
> There is a list of supported models in
> Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt in the linux source
> distribution.  I found an online copy at
> http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt

Ok.  My model number is not listed, but the only likely ones listed are
model=acer and model=acer-laptop.  I assume I need to restart alsa after
each experimental modprobe.  Or do I have to remove the existing module
first, or what?

> If you can get it working with one of these options, you can set up
> the defaults options in one of the files in /etc/modprobe.d/
> (alsa-base, I think, but I'm not sure).

Looks as though alsa-base expects an environment variable $CMDLINE_OPTS
to be set first.  I wonder how to get that to happen...

--
richard