Re: How to unmute the sound?

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 08:56:01AM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:

> Am 2008-02-13 10:05:43, schrieb Michael Yang:
> > Yes. I tried to recompile because of missing sound suddenly for unknown
> > reason.
> >
> > When I was recompiling the alsa-driver, it told me that the sound is unmated
> > by default. After finished installing the driver again (without checking if
> > sound is muted or unmated), when using "alsactl store", it returns that "no
> > sound card found". But the sound card is indeed there by "lspci".
> >
> > In alsamixer, there's no "MM" for each volume bars. I have tried to ajust
> > and switch mute mode, it works pretty well. But no sound output. I don't
> > know why!
>
> I have an nNidia Sound in a Laptop (Acer Aspire 7720) and have exactly
> the same problem with the exception, that I have ONLY a "Master" and
> "Balance" and not more.  The Maser is unmuted but no sound, while "cdcd"
> is playing fine the CD inserted...

FWIW, I have the same problem on an Acer Aspire 1640Z.  Onboard sound
card is in my case listed as
  Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition
  Audio Controller (rev 04)
but the rest seems identical.  It plays normally with 'doze, so not a
hardware issue.

Someone on debian-laptop suggested getting a usb soundcard and
sidestepping the problem (blacklisting the normal soundcard modules).
Seems an untidy solution, but may be the only one...

--
richard