Re: How to unmute the sound?

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 12:39:12 +0100
Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:

> > > FWIW, I have the same problem on an Acer Aspire 1640Z.  Onboard
> > > sound card is in my case listed as
> > >   Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High
> > > Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
> > > but the rest seems identical.  It plays normally with 'doze, so
> > > not a hardware issue.
> > >
> > > Someone on debian-laptop suggested getting a usb soundcard and
> > > sidestepping the problem (blacklisting the normal soundcard
> > > modules). Seems an untidy solution, but may be the only one...
> > >

> > Do you get sound output if you plug in speakers or headphones into
> > the headphone jack?  I had a problem with my Dell Vostro 1400,
> > where the laptop's internal speakers didn't output sound, but the
> > headphone jack worked fine.  Supplying the model=5stack option to
> > the snd-hda-intel module fixed the problem for me.  There could be
> > something similar for your particular model...
>
> I have just tried with the speakers from my mp3 player.  Nothing :-(
>
> How do you supply options to modules?  I could try it anyway.

You add them to your modprobe command line, like so:
modprobe snd-hda-intel model=5stack

There is a list of supported models in
Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt in the linux source
distribution.  I found an online copy at
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt

If you can get it working with one of these options, you can set up the
defaults options in one of the files in /etc/modprobe.d/ (alsa-base, I
think, but I'm not sure).

HTH

--
Kushal