Re: OMG! Think I did something stupid with dmcrypt

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 03:57:43PM +0100, Andrew Henry wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
> >
> > If you *formatted* (i.e., run mkfs on) the "server" (how can you
> > format a *machine*, as opposed to just a drive partition?), then
> > wouldn't you have lost everything anyway by wiping clean the partition?
> >
> well those weren't the answers I wanted to hear. :(
>
> The disk in question is an external USB disk.  I did not have it
> connected to the server when I formatted the servers internal hard
drive.

I'm confused. Can you not just enter the passphrase for the encrypted
volume and unlock it? Or is there something I'm missing here that
likely applies to my own encrypted system...

I thought that if you had a passphrase key in one of the luks slots
then that's all you need to unlock the partition. There are no _other_
keys needed.

maybe I'm wrong.