Re: OMG! Think I did something stupid with dmcrypt

Ron Johnson wrote:

> If you *formatted* (i.e., run mkfs on) the "server" (how can you
> format a *machine*, as opposed to just a drive partition?), then
> wouldn't you have lost everything anyway by wiping clean the partition?

well those weren't the answers I wanted to hear. :(

The disk in question is an external USB disk.  I did not have it
connected to the server when I formatted the servers internal hard drive.

I have not lost "data", but I have lost a considerable amount of
man-hours that it took me to rip all my audio CDs and DVDs.  It will
take at least 20 hours to redo it.

I also stored my desktop backups and an rsync copy of my photos on that
disc, so now I have no backups and I really should do a new backup of my
desktop machine ASAP.