OMG! Think I did something stupid with dmcrypt

help.

I have debian lenny on a server with full disk encryption (the guided
partitioning option) and an external usb WD Mybook that is also
encrypted with dmcrypt/LUKS.

I just formatted the server to install and try out CentOS.  Then I went
to the Ubuntu Wiki to see how I can access the USB drive on another
computer, and I started reading about keys etc etc.  Have I just
overwritten my key to the usb drive whilst formatting the server?

I thought that HAL and Gnome had the ability to auto detect encrypted
devices and prompt for passphrase??  I thought all I needed was the
passphrase to be able to access the usb drive on another computer?

Please tell me ive not just lost all my data!

--andrew

--
GnuPG Key ID: ECB18ABA
Fingerprint:  FDF3 91FC F5BC 1164 E217  315E 337E 219B ECB1 8ABA