Re: OMG! Think I did something stupid with dmcrypt

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 10:42:26AM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> I'm confused. Can you not just enter the passphrase for the encrypted
> volume and unlock it? Or is there something I'm missing here that
> likely applies to my own encrypted system...

I don't know about LUKS, but cryptmount (which I use) first
autogenerates the key, encrypts it with your passphrase and stores the
result under /etc/cryptmount.

So to mount an encrypted drive, the key in /etc/cryptmount is decrypted
with your passphrase and then used to decrypt the actual data on the
partition. So, yes, if you hose the keys in /etc/cryptmount there's no
way to get back at your data. Which means you must backup those keys.

But like I said, LUKS may work differently.

--D.