Re: OMG! Think I did something stupid with dmcrypt

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> I'm confused. Can you not just enter the passphrase for the encrypted
> volume and unlock it? Or is there something I'm missing here that
> likely applies to my own encrypted system...
>
> I thought that if you had a passphrase key in one of the luks slots
> then that's all you need to unlock the partition. There are no _other_
> keys needed.
>
> maybe I'm wrong.

that's what I thought!  Maybe I misunderstood?  I thought I could plug
in my external USB drive into another PC and as long as I had the
passphrase I could mount it, but I tried it and Gnome did ask for the
passphrase but the volume did not mount.  I have not investigated why
yet, but my first thought was that I had done something incredibly
stupid by formatting the host PC, and that's when I mailed the list.

--andrew

--
GnuPG Key ID: ECB18ABA
Fingerprint:  FDF3 91FC F5BC 1164 E217  315E 337E 219B ECB1 8ABA