Re: udev and ethernet connections

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 06:10:36AM -0600, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> No, Verizon wants customers even if they can use dhcp to only use pppoe.

Let's not get too excited about what teleco tells us.

> This had been made clear to me by them on another occassion but at that
> earlier time they didn't disable the connection.

For early days of good old US dsl lines, it was free fixed IP (with
pacbell) then now pppoe in any country.  That is my take.  I think cable
was mostly DHCP. But if your home modem/router combo thingy with any
network, the router takes care the pppoe conection with NAT, then behind
that box, you have LAN served by DHCP.  So your work station is DHCP
served.  (I have moved out of US so do not trust d--n foreiner :-)

Whatever teleco tells you, you are free to use LAN with as much PC
without much trouble since they ave not enough time to chase you down as
ng as your network use is reasonable.

> The only reason for  pppoe is so verizon can force logins to happen.

With your PC directly?  If your router does it, your PC is served by
router so you should use DHCP.

> There's been some  interesting developments over here.  I actually
> have a Westel 327w modem.

> I went the other day and held the reset button in for 30 seconds using
> the point of a pencil and may have got the modem back pretty close to
> factory defaults.  Interestingly though, the area for setting dhcp or
> pppoe connection on the web page the modem shows I can't find where to
> set that. Also having stored my verizon credentials in the modem, dhcp
> still isn't working so far as I can tell.

You need to fix your /etc/network/interfaces.

Osamu