Re: udev and ethernet connections

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 04:45:56PM -0600, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> I think what may be happening over here is the network gets set up during
> boot up here including firewall and pppoe and then udev takes the whole
> connection down.  In order to get out to the internet I've got to run
> dhcpcd eth0 and pon dsl-provider once I sudo into root account.  I
> originally configured ppoe to bring the connection up at boot time but
> having things broken down this way by udev does offer some security
> advantages if I walk away from the computer and forget about it once
> logged in. What needs to be changed in udev so as to not break the
> connection? Also, another possibility might be to simply not try to
> connect to any network at boot up and have a user with sufficient
> privileges bring up the internet after login.  How could that type of
> configuration be arranged?

It do not make sense to me.

Are you on wifi or wired connection?

Can you post :
 release? etch or lenny?
 /etc/network/interface
 /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider

Did you set persist in dsl-provider ?

I do not think udev kills pppoe but I am not using it now.

I am updating netwoek section but still useful as is.  See:

http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch06.en.html

Osamu