Re: udev and ethernet connections

What I used to set up communications was the pppoeconf package. That's what wrote those lines and made any modifications.

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008, Osamu Aoki wrote:

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 06:41:40PM -0600, Jude DaShiell wrote:
file: /etc/network/interfaces (cut here)
# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto dsl-provider
iface dsl-provider inet ppp
pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf
provider dsl-provider

auto eth0

Hmmmmm...

I do not know who and which package wrote these lines but looks very
funny.

If you are accessing internet via broadband modem with router and DHCP
capability, you only need:

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
or
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

And if you have pppoe at boottime:

auto dsl-provider
iface dsl-provider inet ppp
provider dsl-provider

The "pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf" may
be right but I am not quite sure if you need it.  I have not used direct
pppoe recently but dsl-provider file provided by the normal package
installation has:
pty "/usr/sbin/pppoe -I eth0 -T 80 -m 1452"
So it uses eth0.

(To me that funny line for pre-up script is not needed but I may be
wrong.)

But having both one of the DHCP and PPPoE coniguration auto started at
boot time (auto stanza) or device discovery by kernel time
(auto--hotplug stanza) in this configuration is sure call for trouble.
That explains funny starting you experienced.

Comment out unneeded one.

By the way where did you get idea to write such configuration or what
package configured your system as such.  That concerns me more than any
thing.

As others said, you need to identify your network environment.  DHCP or
direct PPPoE.  Then set your /e/n/i file as it fits.  Good luck.

Again please read URL link I posed.  That get you to the right system.

Osamu