Re: What am I missing without mutt?

Am 2008-02-06 12:28:57, schrieb Steve Lamb:
>     The main problem that I saw is that on delete operations it does
> something that is insanely slower than TBird.  For example, on TBird I
> can mark 25 messages as deleted, hit delete, and within about a second
> they are in the trash folder.

This is, because TB does not delete the messages but mark them in the
TOC files which is 10 times faster.  And AFAIF if you leave the folder,
it copies the files to the trash.  And even now, the deleted files are
not deleted and the folder compressed, which is done automaticaly by
mutt be default.  So on reopening the folder, it does not need to look
at messages which are already deleted to skip them.

>     Now extend that to maintaining a high volume list like Debian where one
> has 300 or so messages a day.  300 messages is 2.5 minutes of sitting
> idle.  TBird would complete that oepration in, at most, 4-5 seconds.  I
> dread to think what it would be like when I go on my monthly Exim user
> list purges of 2-3 thousand messages at once.

Deleting 8000 messages (LKM) in TB takes arround 3 1/2 minutes, in mutt
only 30 seconds.

  ~R
  ;d
  <shift>4

and then they are gone.

>     I don't know what TBird is doing differently than mutt but it is
> painfully slow and utterly unusable.

Since I am on over 120 mailinglists (incl. 76 debian) TB can not handel
this traffic and the amount of messages (arround 7.98 million) which
mutt handels nicely as MAILDIR.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)