Re: What am I missing without mutt?

Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>:
>  On 05/02/2008, BartlebyScrivener <bscrivener42@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Feb 4, 5:20 pm, "Steve Lamb" <g...@dmiyu.org> wrote:
> >  >
> >  > It all depends on the work habits of the individual user.
> >
> > Well, you can say that about anything, right? The OP asked what he was
> > missing, so he's soliciting the opinions of people with different work
> > habits.
>
>  Exactly. I asked because I'm certain that there are those with more
>  experience and more efficient workflows than myself. So I ask.

I come from the dark ages.  For me, it's important that the tools I
use write files that anything can deal with, not just the app which
created them.  Mutt handles any standard form of mail box format,
including on_some_other_server(don't much care how), aka. imap.

The guis, in my experience, save in their own format (If you let them?
Configurable?), though they too can do the on_some_other_server() trick.
However, I doubt `aptitude show grepmail` can handle tbird's format
(I could be mistaken), much less imap.

email was intended to be ASCII (or something discernable as it), and
we have MIME attachments to deal with the rest.  I don't need or want
anything more than that from email.  Apologies to those (the rest of
the Universe) for which ASCII is inappropriate.  For me, email is
text.  My text (English) is ASCII.

I see a lot of (to me) garbage in stuff others post which my clients
have trouble displaying as the poster intended, but I can usually make
enough sense of it in both reading and replying.  Keeping it all in
standard formats all the way through eliminates many complex problems.

Ie., recovering your mail after catastrophic system failure.

For me, it's:

 ISP --> fetchmail --> {exim,procmail+bogofilter} --> mutt --> exim --> ISP

Add in whatever editor you prefer, and whatever tools you want to
handle the MIME stuff (~/.mailcap).  Mutt'll probably be able to do
what you want it to.

It's just an MUA.  All it wants (or needs) to do is to show you the
result of a (behind the scenes) complex interaction, the details of
which are irrelevant (to it).  Ensure other tools are working
correctly.

Mutt does its job well.  It does expect you to pet it regularly in the
beginning, and from time to time from there on.  It's aptly named.

Good dog, though.  Enjoy.