Memory Stick is sg1?

I have a usb memory stick which I successfully used for a netinst several months ago. When I connected it today it was recognized as sg1 but it was not recognized as a block device when I tried to mount it. Returning to the Debian-Installer directions I found I can mount it with the command mount /dev/sda /mnt but only as root. At the moment I just want to store some files and there is plenty of space free so I don't really have a problem. I'm just puzzled as I have an entry in /etc/fstab reading /dev/sda1 /usbkey vfat rw,user,noauto 0 0 and I believe in the past the memory stick was recognized as sda1 and I could mount it as an ordinary user. If using it for netinst has modified it how can I restore the original configuration?

Tom