Re: Memory Stick is sg1?

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 04:05:38PM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> I have a usb memory stick which I successfully used for a netinst several
> months ago.  When I connected it today it was recognized as sg1 but it was
> not recognized as a block device when I tried to mount it.

well, if the kernel/udev recignized it as /dev/sg1 then your command
below won't work because that command tries to mount /dev/sda.

> Returning to the Debian-Installer directions I found I can mount it with
> the command mount /dev/sda /mnt but only as root.  At the moment I just
--------------------^^^^^^^^

that won't work with a /dev/sdg*

try

mount /dev/sdg1 /mnt

> want to store some files and there is plenty of space free so I don't
> really have a problem.  I'm just puzzled as I have an entry in /etc/fstab
> /dev/sda1 /usbkey    vfat   rw,user,noauto   0   0

that also tries to mount /dev/sda1. With your memory stick id'ed as
/dev/sdg1, it won't work.

> and I believe in
> the past the memory stick was recognized as sda1 and I could mount it as an
> ordinary user.

the 'user' option in the fstab line above allows the user to mount the
device. But again, it needs to specify the right device...

> If using it for netinst has modified it how can I restore
> the original configuration?

all the netinst has done is but some files on it, essentially. That
doesn't affect how the stick is recognized by the kernel or
udev. SOmething else is causing the change to sdg. If you want to
revert the stick to it's original, pre-netinst condition, probably you
need to just reformat the filesystem.