Re: Memory Stick is sg1?

El vie, 25-01-2008 a las 16:05 -0500, Thomas H. George escribió:
> I have a usb memory stick which I successfully used for a netinst
> several months ago.  When I connected it today it was recognized as sg1
> but it was not recognized as a block device when I tried to mount it.
> Returning to the Debian-Installer directions I found I can mount it
> with  the command mount /dev/sda /mnt but only as root.  At the moment I
> just want to store some files and there is plenty of space free so I
> don't really have a problem.  I'm just puzzled as I have an entry in
> /etc/fstab reading /dev/sda1 /usbkey    vfat   rw,user,noauto   0   0
> and I believe in the past the memory stick was recognized as sda1 and I
> could mount it as an ordinary user.  If using it for netinst has
> modified it how can I restore the original configuration?

If you want it to be sda1 instead of sda, try making a partition on it.

OTOH, if you want it to be sda1 because you don't want to modify your
fstab, you could try using pmount instead of mount. 'aptitude show
pmount'.

Checkout udev if you want it to have the same name each time you connect
it, you can name it whatever you want.

--
Gabriel Parrondo
GNU/Linux User #404138

"The only difference between theory and practice is that, in theory, there's no difference between theory and practice."