Re: Memory Stick is sg1? Solution?

After trying various suggestions I found I was unable to mount the
memory stick at all.

I went back to the begining and executed:

zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sda

which puts a FAT file system on the memory stick.

Next I unplugged and replugged it and it was still recognized as sg1.
As root the command mount /dev/sda /mnt worked.

Next I added the line:

/dev/sda	/media/usb1	vfat	rw,user,auto	0	0

to /etc/fstab and found that as a normal user the command:

mount /media/usb1

worked.  Thus my objective of using the memory stick as a normal user is
achieved.

I don't understand why sg1 and not sda1.  For the curious I ran parted
with the following result:

Script started on Sun 27 Jan 2008 04:41:31 PM EST
Dragon:~# parted /dev/sda print

Disk /dev/sda: 2080MB

Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B

Partition Table: loop

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Flags

 1      0.00kB  2080MB  2080MB  fat16

Information: Don't forget to update /etc/fstab, if necessary.

Dragon:~# exit

Script done on Sun 27 Jan 2008 04:41:56 PM EST

Tom