Lenny, hald and CPU on the see-saw...

Hi,

I recently upgraded a ThinkPad R40e from etch to lenny, and everything seemed to be alright, but after rebooting the system I immediately noticed the following:

a) the mouse arrow sometimes stopped for a while when I was moving it
b) keeping pressed any key on the keyboard, the output has the same behaviour as the mouse: it stops for a while. c) approximately, this happens every 30 or 50 seconds, and lasts about 10 seconds; every single stop lasts just half a second, maybe even less.

I decided to take a look at the CPU usage and I noticed it was going up and down approximately with the same periodic trend.

I also noticed that the boot process is extremely slower than before: expecially hald takes about two minutes to start, while with etch it took no more than 20 seconds.

So I decided to stop hald... and voilà, all the above problems disappear!

I guess hald is needed by the system to work properly, but why does it cause such problems, now?

Best regards.

--
Andrea