Re: Preventing IP conflict

Thanks everyone for the reply.

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 06:58:55 +0100, Bonnel Christophe wrote:

>> It's now the third time that I bumped into such situation. All of sudden I
>> suffer from network delay and package lost, can't ping DNS server but can
>> ping some IPs that is connecting to my box.
>>
>> I have suspected my cable, kernel version, etc, etc, and until today,
>> after rebooting into Window$ and noticing the warning message, did I
>> realize that all above is caused by IP conflict -- there is another box on
>> the network using the same IP address as mine.
>>
>> We know it is definitely because of the malfunctioning of our
>> organization's DNS  server. But if I report it to our technical services,
>> I know for sure that I am the person to be blamed: "Why are you using
>> Linux? We are primarily a Window$ shop here. Linux is not supported".
>>
>> That's the life that I have to live in. I'm wondering if there is anything
>> at my end that can prevent/eliminate the problem.
>
> Don't confuse DHCP and DNS. . .

Ops, yeah, I meant DHCP. I'm using DHCP instead of static ip. both under
windows and under linux.

> As it was said by Douglas, if you have a problem under windows, it is
> not a linux problem but a network problem.

yes, it is definitely because of the malfunctioning of our organization's
DHCP server -- giving the same IP to more than one computers. Or, maybe
something else?

> Second check, as Douglas said, that the mac address are the same under
> the 2 OS . . .

I haven't got around to reboot into window$ and check yet. But I believe
that they are the same. I'll post immediately if otherwise.

> When your problem come back, use the command i gave you (under windows
> or under Linux according the case) and report immediatly the information
> to the network administrator. At this time, it can search on the network
> where the ip address is used from another machine.

Can I do that myself from my Linux box?

I remember seeing Window$ hacking SW to bomb another box to dead blue
screen. How I wish those tools are available under Linux now. :-)

> Beware of laws too. In some businesses, if it's windows on all the
> machines, it can be a contract and they can't use Linux while the
> contract lives.

I never heard of such contracts, so weird. Will they get a huge discount
tying themselves up like that?

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/