Re: Preventing IP conflict

T o n g a écrit :

Second check, as Douglas said, that the mac address are the same under the 2 OS . . .

I haven't got around to reboot into window$ and check yet. But I believe
that they are the same. I'll post immediately if otherwise.

When your problem come back, use the command i gave you (under windows or under Linux according the case) and report immediatly the information to the network administrator. At this time, it can search on the network where the ip address is used from another machine.

Can I do that myself from my Linux box?
I remember seeing Window$ hacking SW to bomb another box to dead blue
screen. How I wish those tools are available under Linux now. :-)
The network administrator should have tools to detect the problem but you can try this method (i never use it when i have an ip conflict)

First : launch "ifconfig" and see your ip address/netmask. I assume that is 192.168.1.2 with a netmask 255.255.255.0

Second : launch "nmap 192.168.1.0-255" (adapt according your ip and netmask). I take some minutes (less than 5 in most of cases). This method works if the machine on the network don't block each reply from nmap, but i think it's so if your network adminstrator did his job ;)
Now you will see each ip used on your network.

Third : Switch to a static address that has not been listed by nmap and see if you have problem. If you have one, try another till you find temporary a ip address which is not used

Fourth : in root, do "arp 192.168.1.2"(your first ip address which gives the conflict). Normally, it will show you its mac address. With this one, you can see your network administrator.

I repeat that i never used this method with an ip conflict. I may not work but if it works, i'm glad to know it.

Hope this helps,
Christophe