Re: OT: clicky keyboards

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 08:37:42AM +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:57:15 -0500
> "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
>
> Hello Douglas,
>
> > Anybody remember the Timex/Sinclair 1000?  It has a pure membrane
>
> AKA the Sinclair ZX-81, in the UK.  First computer I owned.

I remember those (US). THere was a lot of competition between all of
us (this was 8th - 11th grade for me) with those kids who had the
Atari based rigs being all uppity about their games or something, and
us C-64 kids being all uppity about the fact that we could swap the
whole OS into ram and start rewriting the BASIC interpreter. 6502/6510
assembler was pretty straightforward as well and a lot of us started
really playing around with that. As I recall, I typed in an assembler
written in BASIC to build my first assembler program. And then the
sprites -- that was a lot of fun too. YOu could map the sprite
anywhere in memory you wanted and just change the pointer -- simple
effective animation by just updating that pointer every few ticks.

Sorry, I got off track there. The Timex... hmmm... some kid had one
but I don't think anyone ever got it to do anything interesting. I
remember that the keyboard was hideous though.