Re: OT: clicky keyboards

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:57:15 -0500
"Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

Hello Douglas,

> Anybody remember the Timex/Sinclair 1000?  It has a pure membrane

AKA the Sinclair ZX-81, in the UK.  First computer I owned.  Sinclair
followed it with the Spectrum, a colour machine (the '81 was B&W, block
GFX only).  The keyboard on that, although not a membrane was also
hideous.  It felt a bit like a dead fish.

Several companies produced "real" keyboards for both machines.

> keyboard built-in.  The whole box was about 8" square.  BASIC keywords
> were given to each key for programming.  1 MHz Z-80 with 16 KB ram

1k as standard, the 16k RAM pack was extra.  It had the knack of
"wobbling" at the wrong time and as a result, you'd lose your program.

> with, I think, a connection to an audio tape deck for storage.  I did

Ah, tape.  Mmmmm.......

--
 Regards  _

I'm surfing on a wave of nostalgia for an age yet to come
Nostalgia - The Buzzcocks