Re: Fresh 7.10 netinstall problems...

On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 05:30:49PM +0100, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> I hope there are some experts out there that can offer some suggestions
> regarding a problem I am having installing Debian Etch (40r1-386-netinst
> downloaded on 23/10/07) on a Dell Precision 410 MT...
>
> Everything goes fine through the initial install, up to the point
> where I have to reboot using the freshly installed kernel on the
> hard drive.
>
> I can log in after the reboot, and everything looks ok, but when I
> then proceed to try and complete the install by adding other packages
> like 'xorg', things start going wrong...
>
> Either the package transfer fails after a few minutes with messages like
> 	E: Method http has died unexpectedly!
> 	segmentation fault
> or dpkg falls over during the installation of the package, eg
> 	/bin/sh: line 1: 2284 Segmentation fault /usr/bin/dpkg_preconfigure...
>
> I tried doing an 'apt-get update; apt-get upgrade' but the system did
> not survive long enough to get the updated kernel installed.
>
> It seems that the kernel used during the initial install was stable,
> but the kernel it installed on the hard disk is not.
>
> I tried adding 'nosmp' to the command line in case there were problems
> with that, but it made no difference.
>
> For anyone who has read this far - here are some more details about
> the target hardware:
> 	Model: Dell Precision Workstation 410 MT
> 	BIOS revision A08
> 	CPU: 2xPIII 450MHz
> 	Video card: 3DLabs Oxygen GVX1
> 	Ram: 1024MB
> 	Adaptec AIC-7890 BIOS DELL-V2.01.05
> 		SCSI ID 0	COMPAQ  DDRS-34560W ULTRA2-SE
> 		SCSI ID 1	SEAGATE ST173404LW  ULTRA2-SE
> 	Adaptec AIC-7880 BIOS DELL-V2.01.05
> 		SCSI ID 1   MATSHITA DVD-RAM LF-200
> 	Primary IDE1    ZIP drive

What kernel was installed?

As soon as you login, type
$ uname -a

If the system is still up, send us:

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

You could use the install CD as a rescue system, choose "run a command
on the rootfs" (or whatever it says); it runs your command chrooted to
the system.  Try aptitude there (thus with the installer's kernel).  If
that works, do a uname -a there and notice any difference.

Needless to say, what you're experiencing shouldn't happen under any
circumstances with Etch (stable).

Doug.