Re: OT: Choice of OOo and LaTeX (Was: Tool for document management)

Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> True. But my personal experience includes quite a bit of work with word,
> OOo *and* LaTeX.

    Happy for you.  Let me know when you turn into me so your personal
experience matches mine.  I'll be happy to let you write the book for me.  :P

> LaTeX, especially without formulas or too complicated formatting, is
> easily converted to many different acceptable formats: HTML, pdf, plain
> text, etc.

    "Acceptable" by whom?  My end goal is to get published.  None of those
formats are acceptable for that goal.

> The route via HTML to OOo and .doc is straightforward for the
> situation you describe.

    No, it's not.  It does not retain all the formatting.

> I didn't want to do hair splitting. I just used the example to convince
> you that you don't require to type '\textit{}' all the times you need
> italics.

    Which I never said.

> texmacs is not emacs! See www.texmacs.org.

    Technically you're right.  From the FAQ, first question:

* is a free scientific text editor, which was both inspired by TeX and GNU Emacs.

    Yeahhhh, scientific text is what I am writing here.  Inspired by Emacs.
You're out of touch.