Re: Repost of some earlier described "challenges"

* Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> [2007 Sep 26 03:22 -0500]:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 09/25/07 21:33, Mike McCarty wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> USB keyboard?  (I've always been leery of them, because of the
>> mutually-exclusive HID and {o,u}chi drivers.
>
> Oops! I somehow neglected to specify...
> PS/2 style keyboard
> PS/2 style mouse
> Keyboard works
>
> PS/2 style keyboard
> USB style mouse
> Keyboard stops working
>
> Same setup works with you-know-what.

I have two IBM ThinkCentre machines each with a PS/2 keyboard and USB
mouse that have been running Debian for well over a year with no
problems of any sort.  They were updated to Stable/Etch this spring and
work like a hose.  I suspect her machine has some flaky USB hardware.

I have plugged USB peripherals into my T23 laptop (keyboard and mouse)
and both devices "just worked" without my intervention.  This has been
within the past 24 to 30 months.  What version of Debian does she have
installed?

It will be interesting to see if the memory stick works with her
desktop and hub under XP.  The fact it does work under XP with her
laptop does not rule out hardware incompatibility with her desktop
machine.

> She's quite familiar with Windows XP. She uses it at work.

As do I and that experience has taught me to *never* use it at home.
In fact, my work laptop is not allowed on my home network.

How current is her Debian install?

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of