Upgrade problem: "dpkg: 'x' not found on PATH"

I'm trying to upgrade a Sarge box to Etch and several "dpkg: `x' not
found on PATH"-errors occured.

I followed the instructions in the release notes
( http://www.nl.debian.org/releases/etch/i386/release-notes/ch-
upgrading.en.html):

I ran

    # aptitude upgrade
    # aptitude install initrd-tools
    # aptitude install libfam0 xlibmesa-glu

When I ran the last command I noticed these errors:

[...]
Fetched 892kB in 2s (363kB/s)
dpkg: `ldconfig' not found on PATH.
dpkg: `start-stop-daemon' not found on PATH.
dpkg: `install-info' not found on PATH.
dpkg: `update-rc.d' not found on PATH.
dpkg: 4 expected program(s) not found on PATH.
NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and /
sbin.
Ack!  Something bad happened while installing packages.  Trying to
recover:
dpkg: `ldconfig' not found on PATH.
dpkg: `start-stop-daemon' not found on PATH.
dpkg: `install-info' not found on PATH.
dpkg: `update-rc.d' not found on PATH.
dpkg: 4 expected program(s) not found on PATH.
NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and /
sbin.
[...]

I checked and indeed, /sbin/ and /usr/sbin/ weren't in root's PATH
variable. (I fixed that now)

I suspected that these messages appeared in the previous commands too
and indeed, with the upgrade of initrd-tools it had similar errors.
For the 1st command I couldn't find the console output anymore but I
fear the worst.

What should I do?

Thanks.

Nick

--
Nick's Auditorium: http://users.pandora.be/nicks_auditorium
History of and technical information on movie sound systems.