Re: Repost of some earlier described "challenges"

On 09/25/07 21:33, Mike McCarty wrote:
> These have (nearly) all been posted before, but some have requested
> that they be reposted. If you don't like reading stuff
> YET AGAIN, then just skip this message, please.
>
> My GF installed a USB mouse, and her keyboard went away.
> They work together with THE OTHER OS. IIRC (it's been
> a while) using a debug startup allows us to get up to
> a root login, and look around, but using ^D from there
> makes the keyboard go away. I can't tell if this is
> an X Window problem, or below that, or what. The current
> work around is to use an old PS/2 style mouse. The symptoms
> are just as if the keyboard were unplugged. There is no
> response whatsoever.

USB keyboard?  (I've always been leery of them, because of the
mutually-exclusive HID and {o,u}chi drivers.

> My GF also can't mount a memory stick using a Dazzle
> USB I/F through a hub. A regular disc (Western Digital)
> mounts and runs fine on the same hub. When the Dazzle
> is plugged directly into the USB port on the machine,
> it can be mounted. This is extremely inconvenient, as

I remember that thread.  There are definitely "issues" with hubs and
passive devices like memory sticks.

[snip]

> So far, she's unable to get her printer to full functionality.
> I kludged up a printer description which sorta works, but
> not fully. It's an HP, but I don't at present recall the
> exact model number. It is a combined Printer/FAX/Scanner.
> So far, it just prints either in greyscale or color, depending
> on how we've edited queue at the moment. We can't select different
> print quality, color/greyscale, or any other options except by
> editing the one queue associated with it.

M/F printers have *always* been problematic under Linux.

>                                           It is also supposed
> to be able to read and print camera memory sticks, but that
> only works in stand-alone mode, with no way to get the info
> from the printer to the computer. Supposedly, this works
> with THE OTHER OS, though that is unverified. Anyway, at
> present it's running with my kludgy edit of another printer
> description file, not one from Debian, and just as a simple
> printer, it can't even do a realign. None of the other
> functions are currently usable.

I doubt you'll ever find a solution until HP creates OSS drivers for
hylafax and SANE.

> Another issue which has never been posted: She installed more
> memory. She had 512 MB RAM, and now has 1.5 Gig. Unfortunately,
> Debian seems only to recognize just under 1.0 Gig. I haven't
> looked on the web for a fix for that, so I haven't posted
> here. Part of the reason I haven't gone searching for a
> solution, is that her reaction to that was to purchase a copy
> of Windows XP.

That's easy to solve.  Will require a kernel rebuild, though.

However, Debian kernels have had CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y for quite some
time now.  More than a year.

> She's sorta impulsive, sometimes.
>
> Partly, she also wants access to a disc which was formatted
> by Windows NT, and which she considers she has no access to
> at present.

libntfs-3g12.  Will need a FUSE-enabled kernel.

>            (Not quite true, but I try not to argue with her
> very much.

Tsk tsk tsk.

>              It is true that she has some apps on there which
> won't run under Debian.)

Well duh.

> I dunno how much progress will be made, even if I can make
> everything work by Saturday evening.

Certain things will work wonderfully for her.  She'll discover,
though, that the grass isn't greener, just a different variety.

>                                      She seems kinda to have
> made up her mind. I have, um, limited influence over her
> behavior. :-)

You need a more compliant girlfriend.  Lucy Liu-bot comes to mind.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Dated_a_Robot

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA