Re: Magic SysRq [was Re: X ignores keyboard and mouse input, but shows cursor movement (etch)]

On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 09:06:49AM -0400, Ralph Katz wrote:
> On 09/14/2007 07:24 PM, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
> > just a word to the wise when dealing with these issues... magic sysrq
> > key, be sure to google it. The two that are most useful, to me anyway,
> > are
> >
> > Alt-sysrq-s to sync the filesystems (you'll see your drive light come
> > on briefly and you;ll get a console message if you happen to be in
> > one.)
> >
> > alt-sysrq-b to reboot.
>
> This is new to me; never knew what that key did!
>
> Etch has sysrq enabled.  However, the security implications should be
> documented.  SysRq isn't even mentioned in securing-debian-howto.  It's
> mentioned incorrectly as "default installation kernels are not compiled
> with this option" in debian reference (
> http://qref.sourceforge.net/).

out of curiousity, what are the security implications? sysrq requires
physical access to the machine (well, at least the keyboard) and
therefore security is pretty much out the window. or is there some way
to trigger these events from a remote location?

current song: The Killers - Midnight Show