Re: X ignores keyboard and mouse input, but shows cursor movement (etch)

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 03:37:15PM -0700, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On 9/14/07, Richard A Nelson <cowboy@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > I regularly see a similar problem on several boxen - and have for
> > quite some time.
> >         * Mouse cursor moves, and can select windows (maximize/minimize)
> >         * Can not select items in a window (firefox/etc) with mouse
> >         * No keyboard response in any window
> >
> > All boxes are Sid - kept current daily.  I first thought it might be
> > hibernate/resume related - but when it started happening on my desktop
> > I discounted that :)
> >
> > It may, however, be power related - I don't recall seeing the issue
> > before I enabled conservative(amd_64 desktop) or on-demand(intel_64)
> > power management.
> >
> > On the laptop, things are often fine until after a resume, I run ntpdate
> > to correct the clock.
> >
> > CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE (killing the WindowMaker session) always gets me out
> > of the problem, but it isn't fun.
>
> I don't have any power management going on, and it seems like
> the freeze is harder - ctrl-alt-backspace and C-A-D have no effect
> at all, even after remotely killing SeaMonkey (no window selection,
> either). And remotely killing X doesn't change any thing either.
> Sometime the power button "soft off" (clean shutdown) works but
> once only "hard off" worked.
>
> I the past I have encountered freezes that could be solved by
> C-A-BS or by remotely killing the process, but I have only had
> this harder freeze since around the time etch went stable.

just a word to the wise when dealing with these issues... magic sysrq
key, be sure to google it. The two that are most useful, to me anyway,
are

Alt-sysrq-s to sync the filesystems (you'll see your drive light come
on briefly and you;ll get a console message if you happen to be in
one.)

alt-sysrq-b to reboot.