Re: X ignores keyboard and mouse input, but shows cursor movement (etch)

On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 07:42:04AM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 04:24:50PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
> > Alt-sysrq-s to sync the filesystems (you'll see your drive light come
> > on briefly and you;ll get a console message if you happen to be in
> > one.)
>
> The console I used to test this became unusable. The rest of the system
> seems ok though.

how do you mean? Were you testing alt-sysrq-s? I think its something
that should only be done as a last resort before pulling the plug on a
locked-up box. I will note that the few times I've used it, I've not
had any "recovering journal" messages upon reboot, which I think is
the whole point. You box is so borked that you've got to pull the
plug, so try and sync the file system first. If the console is no
longer usable after doing this, well, you were taking the box down
forcibly anyway...

current song: The Killers - Midnight Show