Magic SysRq [was Re: X ignores keyboard and mouse input, but shows cursor movement (etch)]

On 09/14/2007 07:24 PM, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> just a word to the wise when dealing with these issues... magic sysrq
> key, be sure to google it. The two that are most useful, to me anyway,
> are
>
> Alt-sysrq-s to sync the filesystems (you'll see your drive light come
> on briefly and you;ll get a console message if you happen to be in
> one.)
>
> alt-sysrq-b to reboot.

This is new to me; never knew what that key did!

Etch has sysrq enabled.  However, the security implications should be
documented.  SysRq isn't even mentioned in securing-debian-howto.  It's
mentioned incorrectly as "default installation kernels are not compiled
with this option" in debian reference (
http://qref.sourceforge.net/).

Regards,
Ralph