Re: X ignores keyboard and mouse input, but shows cursor movement (etch)

On 9/14/07, Ralph Katz <ralph.katz@rcn.com> wrote:
> A curious and rare (2 times since Etch became stable) X freeze or hang
> has me wondering what to do.
>
> Problem: X ignores keyboard and mouse input, but shows cursor movement
> and running apps update normally on-screen in visible windows (gkrellm,
> gaim, etc).
>
> What happened: Viewing email message in icedove, right-click to save
> image from the email, no response to mouse clicks, mouse wheel or
> keyboard input, but mouse cursor movement appears normal.  icedove
> continues to fetch new mail on schedule.  The identical symptoms
> happened once before while composing in icedove.
>
> Ssh from another box to examine:  Nothing unusual in /var/log.  Kill the
> icedove processes.  Screen shows icedove closing, then switches to VT1
> apparently from a queued earlier attempt.  Keyboard now accepts
> ctrl-alt-F7 back to X, but again is frozen to all input in X!  Just as
> it was before killing icedove.
>
> >From ssh: Restarted gdm.  All is normal.  This last line in
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old is the only thing I could find that looked
> different:
> FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc" refcount is 2, should be
> 1; fixing.
>
> Window manager is openbox.
>
> Has anyone experienced this behavior?  Any ideas?  (Next time I'll
> remember to check .xsession-errors.)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ralph Katz

I have experienced somewhat similar freezes in Unstable. The
differences are that I am using SeaMonkey 2.0a1pre (Nightlies)
for web browsing, I have never managed even a VT switch and
I am using Fluxbox. Oh, and I don't use a session manager
(GDM, etc). This has happened at least six times.

I know the Font refcount thing is not related because it always
says that when I exit X.

With such a hard freeze, that happens so sporadically, I feel
(as a non-programmer) helpless to try to figure it out.

Sorry I can't help.

Cheers,
Kelly