Re: Thinking about devoting a serious part of my life to linux...

On Sep 4, 5:10 pm, "j...@wexfordpress.com" <j...@wexfordpress.com>
wrote:
> On Sep 4, 12:30 am, Amit Uttamchandani <amit.ut...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Linux and Open Source in general are definitely the future.
>
> > First step will be to use Linux full time as your main system. I recently
> > started using Debian Etch full time and I have definitely learned so much more.
> > There is always something new that you will learn everyday.
>
> > Next step would be to read up on how linux works. Great place to start would be
> > the /usr/shar/doc/FAQ and HOWTO directories. I guarantee you if you read every
> > single document there, you will a linux guru in no time.
>
> > Then finally of course, would be to play around and build your own linux system.
> > The best place to start would behttp://www.linuxfromscratch.org/.
>
> > Of course, intermediate step would involve building your own kernel and
> > compiling programs from source.
>
> > And Debian is definitely the right choice.
>
> > Amit
>
> > --
>
> The most popular business distro is some form of Red Hat. I don't like
> it but that is what the suits go for. A very popular one among the
> programming community is Slackware. As an old (in all senses)
> programmer I find Slack congenial to those of us who like to "touch
> the wires together by hand."
>
> For a pure learning experience there is gentoo (vaguely debian-like)
> or
> Linux From Scratch. If you fight your way through one of those
> installs you will know a lot of the tearful side of Linux. They don't
> hide the details, they glory in the low level nuts and bolts.
>
> I admit to prejudice. Debian and Ubuntu manage to hang up on my
> particular system.  I can make a new install of Slackware 12 run by
> copying over my old /etc directory.
>
> Debian has an entirely different /etc structure so that trick won't
> work
> with that distro.
>
> --

OK.  Point taken.  I will try to communicate as though I would like to
be taken seriously.  Here is what I have done today to further my
dream:

In my room, I have four computers:

My favorite desktop pc - - AMD 1.24 Ghz.....1 Gig of RAM.....Windows
XP

My laptop -- HP Pavilion zv6000 AMD 64 3200 (2Ghz)  1 Gig
RAM .....Windows Vista Home Premium

A pieced-together Gateway Intel 733Mhz  256 RAM that I am currently
installing my only copy of any Linux distro, which is Fedora Core 4

A really old PC with 96 MB of RAM that I am running Knoppix Live

I also picked up a copy of A Practical Guide to Linux Commands,
Editors, and Shell Programming by Mark Sobell.

After getting Fedora installed. I hope to be able to upgrade it
without much trouble and begin setting up my server to practice my
networking skills.  I will start with all of your suggestions, which I
honestly appreciate, and will check back very frequently.

Thank you.