Re: Which ATI/AMD "fglrx" version?

Gyorgy Abraham wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I'm having stability problems with the newest ATI/AMD fglrx closed
> source driver, version 8.40.4.
> I can install and use it very well, but it has some stability problems.
>
> Ctrl+Alt+F1 hang ups are very well known, but for example when I logout
> from Gnome (back to GDM login), sometimes a very scary, interfered
> screen appears, then Debian totally hangs.
>
> With the free "ati" driver there is no probs, but I need openGl and
> other stuff from the fglrx driver.
>
> So, which version is considerably stable on your Debian machines?
>
> Thanks a lot.
Hi Gyorg,
Same problem for me using ATI's fglrx driver. I'm using 8.39.4. I haven't
tried 8.40 because of known issues with it and Google Earth. I didn't have
these weird screen effects until I "upgraded" to 8.39. I think that 8.37.6
may not have had that problem but I'm not 100% sure. I have an ATI Radeon
9550 card and I'm running the 2.6.22 kernel (on lenny). Does anyone know if
ATI is aware of this issue? I solve it by using Kaffeine running a film in
full-screen mode as a screen saver otherwise if I leave the machine
unattended for 30 minutes I have to do Ctl-Alt-Backspace about 20 times
until I get a usable screen back.
Cheers,
Jonathan