Re: Exim4 and authentication

On Thursday 23 August 2007, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
> > My new provider requests authentication to send mail,
> > so I found a problem with exim4 / mutt.
> > For the port to send mail is 587, I put the line
> > nel configurare exim4
> > smtp.tele2.it::587
> > configuring exim4. In in /etc/exim4/passwd.client I put:
> > smtp.tele2.it:*login*:*password*
> > and in /etc/exim4/exim4.cong.templates I put:
> > AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS = 1
> > But in any case I'm not able to send mail
> > (while I receive regularly them by fetchmail/procmail.
> > Is there anything wrong or missing?
>
> Please post the exim log (/var/log/exim/mainlog).

Things have changed a bit in recent versions of exim4. However,
I believe that AUTH_CLIENT macro applies to your computer receiving non-TLS
passworded mail. I have been through this.

I assume you are "smarthost"ing to your provider. In the latest and greatest,
you may define REMOTE_SMTP_SMARTHOST_HOSTS_VAILD_TLS. In previous versions,
or now, you can set mosts_vaoid_tls=1 in the smarthost transport
configuration.

Place your login to the provider in /etc/exim4/passwd.client.

BTW, I still get more than occasional auth failures. When this happens, I need
to resend, maybe even a second time. Don't know why.