Re: Canon Powershot A640 (update)

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 07:18:04PM +0100, andy wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

>> ... Andy is having trouble with his camera...

>>> This is the result:
>>>
>>> Aug  8 18:41:34 valhalla kernel: usb 2-2.2: new full speed USB device
>>> using ohci_hcd and address 10
>>> Aug  8 18:41:34 valhalla kernel: usb 2-2.2: not running at top speed;
>>> connect to a high speed hub
>>> Aug  8 18:41:34 valhalla kernel: usb 2-2.2: configuration #1 chosen from
>>> 1 choice
>>> Aug  8 18:43:10 valhalla kernel: usb 2-2.2: USB disconnect, address 10
>>> Aug  8 18:43:57 valhalla kernel: usb 2-2.2: new full speed USB device
>>> using ohci_hcd and address 11
>>> Aug  8 18:43:57 valhalla kernel: usb 2-2.2: not running at top speed;
>>> connect to a high speed hub
>>> Aug  8 18:43:57 valhalla kernel: usb 2-2.2: configuration #1 chosen from
>>> 1 choice
>>> Aug  8 18:44:13 valhalla kernel: usb 2-2.2: USB disconnect, address 11
>>> Aug  8 18:44:27 valhalla kernel: usb 2-2.3: new full speed USB device
>>> using ohci_hcd and address 12
>>> Aug  8 18:44:27 valhalla kernel: usb 2-2.3: not running at top speed;
>>> connect to a high speed hub
>>> Aug  8 18:44:27 valhalla kernel: usb 2-2.3: configuration #1 chosen from
>>> 1 choice
>>>

>> and that's it? the device isn't resolving properly. Try a different
>> USB port.
>> Since you are in a time crunch, can I recommend that you just buy an
>> inexpensive card reader and use that in the interim? YOu could spend a
>> significant amount of time trying to resolve this when you should be
>> packing!
>>

> I have tried the camera on my wife's Etch machine and first time out, the
> camera auto-mounted and I could access the photos!! She runs KDE. So I
> logged out of Gnome and back into KDE on my Lenny machine and again the
> camera (sort of) auto-mounted, but this time I got an error message that
> informed me it didn't recognise the camera type. On my wife's machine, the
> camera type was recognised immediately. I also tried Xfce4 but zippo
> happened there, not even the dialog box!!
>
> On her machine, she does not have gphoto2 installed, nor was she set up as
> a member of any camera group. She is also running an earlier kernel
> (2.6.18, I think). So I rebooted and booted into 2.6.18 and all of the
> above still applied.
>
> So, the good news is - the camera is obviously not the problem but the bad
> news is, is that it is something with my machine. But what that is, I
> really don't know. I have switched the USB to a different port, still no
> dice.

you've either got a problem in udev where its not creating the device
properly, or are missing one of the gphoto libraries (as Ron
suggested) or you have a usb driver/hardware problem.

You switched to a different port, but is it actually on a seperate usb
bus? watch syslog to see. if its the sme bus, then you may not be
doing anything useful by switching to that other port. I would try
several ports.

Also, as another temporary fix (stillgoing on holiday, right?) you
could get the device information from your wife's machine and make
static /dev nodes for the thing (mknod or MAKEDEV, can't
remember). That might work.

Otherwise, start looking for differences between the two systems. look
at version numbers of udev, *gphoto*, and the various front ends
(although I'm sure its not a front end issue).

hth