Re: [OT] Recommended Router Hardware

Well - it isn't that old. It is a Compaq Desktop EN, Pentium III with about > > 500MB RAM. But there is only one Ethernet-Connection which - I guess - can > > be solved by using a Hub or Switch, isn't it?
> > no. to use a desktop machine as a router, you need two network
> connections: one for the local network to attach to and one for the
> internet at large. The computer then routes packets appropriately and

I've read somewhere that it can be done with one card, but it's very difficult to setup. Did you mean Deskpro EN? I've used one of those for the very same purpose with Coyote Linux (also runs from a floppy). But I put a cheapo Realtek based in one of the PCI slots (there are two if I'm not mistaken). It's own card is on-board.

You are right - it is a Deskpro EN.