Re: [OT] Recommended Router Hardware

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 07:30:22PM +0200, Samuel Bächler wrote:
>>> desktop machine. I want to use the old desktop for server services such >
>>> as web- and mail-sever.
>> Use your old desktop machine, just give it a second NIC to go to the
>> cable modem.  Then install shorewall and read the shorewall-doc.  I
>> should clarify this a bit: how old is the desktop machine?  Debian now
>> needs at least a 486 and the installer needs 48 MB ram.  If the desktop
>> is a 386 or has less ram, then you'll need either NetBSD or OpenBSD (24
>> MB ram).
>
> Well - it isn't that old. It is a Compaq Desktop EN, Pentium III with about
> 500MB RAM. But there is only one Ethernet-Connection which - I guess - can
> be solved by using a Hub or Switch, isn't it?

no. to use a desktop machine as a router, you need two network
connections: one for the local network to attach to and one for the
internet at large. The computer then routes packets appropriately and
functions as a firewall. Its very simple to setup and if you are
already planning to have the machine on all the time as a fileserver,
certainly makes sense. There are some possible security issues because
in theory a process on the file server could be compromised and bring
down your whole network, but that is the case with any router. Having
the machine function as a file server means there are more processes
running than on just a dedicated firewall resulting in the possibility
of more vulnerabilities. I happen to think the risk is pretty minimal
with just a little care.

Okay, yes, you would need a switch on the local side of the
machine...

> I now got a Linksys WRT54GL to which Eric Reymond refers to in "Linksys
> Blue Box Router HOWTO"[2].

That completely eliminates the need to do anything to the
fileserver. Just up it behind the firewall/router and be done with
it.