Re: [OT] Recommended Router Hardware

> I want to improve my home network. I have got a Laptop and an old > desktop machine. I want to use the old desktop for server services such > as web- and mail-sever.
> I am connected to the ISP using a cable modem.
> > Question A:
> Can someone recommend a router with the following properties:
> -NAT
> -port forwarding

Use your old desktop machine, just give it a second NIC to go to the
cable modem.  Then install shorewall and read the shorewall-doc.  I
should clarify this a bit: how old is the desktop machine?  Debian now
needs at least a 486 and the installer needs 48 MB ram.  If the desktop
is a 386 or has less ram, then you'll need either NetBSD or OpenBSD (24
MB ram).

Well - it isn't that old. It is a Compaq Desktop EN, Pentium III with about 500MB RAM. But there is only one Ethernet-Connection which - I guess - can be solved by using a Hub or Switch, isn't it?

I now got a Linksys WRT54GL to which Eric Reymond refers to in "Linksys Blue Box Router HOWTO"[2].

Question B:
> Is it possible to install FREESCO on top of a commercial router > (hardware, e.g. linksys, netgear etc.)

What's FREESCO?

FREESCO is a NAT/firewall router/server based on Linux and runs on a single 1.44MB floppy[1].

S.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/freesco
[2] http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linksys-Blue-Box-Router-HOWTO/index.html