Re: Opinions XFS

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 05:32:11PM -0400, Justin Piszcz wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> >What exactly do you mean that JFS has no maintainer.
>
> It has a maintainer, but he cannot work on it full-time:
>
> Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 15:11:06 -0500
> From: Dave Kleikamp <shaggy@linux.vnet.ibm.com>

> Anyway, for enterprise use, I couldn't recommend jfs, since there is no
> full-time maintainer.
>
> Thanks,
> Shaggy
> --
> David Kleikamp
> IBM Linux Technology Center

Wow.  IBM telling you that they don't recommend jfs for enterprise use.
Now why is it still in debian stable without a warning?

Perhaps I've been naive, but I expect that packages in debian main
stable to be solid and reliable, especially for system-level packages
(like filesystems), and less-so for inherently unstable things like web
browsers (since they have to keep pace with web features, the feature
set isn't stable enough for reliability).

If the maintainer can't recommend it for enterprise use, that should be
a release-critical bug in and of itself that prevents it from getting
into stable.

Thanks for the heads-up.  I'll probably switch to XFS for my next build.

Doug.