Re: ext3fs errors with kernel 2.6.18 but not with 2.4.27

On 8/4/07, Francois Duranleau <xiao.bai.xiong@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/3/07, Brad Sawatzky <brad+debian@swatter.net> wrote:
> > Hi Francois,
> >
> > I agree with Doug:  CRC errors shouldn't be ignored.  At _best_ they are a
> > sign that something in your system is marginal.  At worst you end up
> > reading and/or writing bogus data.  The fact that the errors persisted
> > after you changed hard drives suggest either a bad cable (most likely), bad
> > secondary device on that cable, or bad motherboard (unlikely).
>
> I tried to change the IDE cables (I had a few spares from my father's computer).
> I happened to notice that I had a 40 pins cable. I replaced it with a 80 pins
> cable. I have two, I tried both: nothing changed. I still have CRC errors. BTW,
> there is only one drive on that cable.
>
> However, I noticed that the motherboard's chipset's fan is dead. I knew it was
> having a hard time spinning lately, but now, it's gone. Would it be the
> motherboard's chipset that causes those errors because it's too hot?

Browsing around to look for potential problems with the VIA chipset driver, I
came upon this:

http://www.tiny.cc/xORCV
(see the last post in the thread)

Apparently, I am not the only one getting this kind of CRC errors on the
primary IDE interface (and I do happen to have this exact motherboard:
ABIT KT7). I will look if there are still some BIOS updates that may change
something.

--
Francois