Re: ext3fs errors with kernel 2.6.18 but not with 2.4.27

Hi Francois,

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007, Francois Duranleau wrote:

> On 2.4.27, I get the CRC errors (not at boot time, later, and all the
> time thereafter), and I've been having them for many years. I mentionned
> just in case there might be a link with my problem. Otherwise, I am not
> trying to solve this particular problem.
>
> On 2.6.x, at boot time, errors are reported on the initial filesystem
> check. I do not know if I still have those CRC errors.

I agree with Doug:  CRC errors shouldn't be ignored.  At _best_ they are a
sign that something in your system is marginal.  At worst you end up
reading and/or writing bogus data.  The fact that the errors persisted
after you changed hard drives suggest either a bad cable (most likely), bad
secondary device on that cable, or bad motherboard (unlikely).

> I will try to see tonight or tomorrow if I can manage to get some logs as
> Douglas suggested. I will also try to look at what driver is in use also.
> Looking at my config-2.6.18 file:
>
> http://www-etud.iro.umontreal.ca/~duranlef/linux-config/config-2.6.18
>
> it's hard to guess. All I know is that all SATA support is disabled.

Your config file says that you're using the 'old' (stable) IDE driver, not
the newer PATA drivers.  That's (probably) good.

FWIW, you could try booting with the kernel option 'hda=autotune" or
"idea=autotune" and see what happens.  That should allow the driver/chipset
to fall back to a slower PIO mode if it sees CRC errors.  (Though I don't
know what, if anything, it will do if DMA is enabled...)

-- Brad