Re: ext3fs errors with kernel 2.6.18 but not with 2.4.27

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007, Francois Duranleau wrote:

[ . . . ]
> Now, when I boot my computer using the new kernel, I get an error
> message during filesystem check saying it contains errors (sorry, I
> don't have a more precise error message, and I have no logs) and
> it then mounts the filesystem read-only. If I boot back with the
> 2.4.27 kernel, no problems. I do get often though an error message
> like this:
>   hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
>   hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> and then sometimes:
>   ide0: reset: success
> I have been having this for a long time (even after I changed to a
> new hard drive), and only when DMA is active, but I never noticed
> anything bad happening except for those error messages.
[ . . . ]

You have either:
  1) a bad ide cable, or
  2) a bad motherboard (IDE connector, timing, flakey chipset, who knows).

Try using a new IDE cable and see if the error messages go away.  Be sure
to use an 80 wire cable and not an old ATA/33 era 40 wire cable.  If you
have two devices on the same cable, it could be that the second device is
causing problems too.

(2) is pretty unlikely unless it's a really old board.

HTH,
-- Brad