Re: ext3fs errors with kernel 2.6.18 but not with 2.4.27

On 8/3/07, Brad Sawatzky <brad+debian@swatter.net> wrote:

> Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought he got the errors with the old
> kernel (and had for a long time) but they did not trigger a filesystem
> check.  My hunch was that the 2.6.x IDE driver (or ext3 driver) is handling
> the error condition in a different way.  Perhaps not retrying at all on the
> CRC error, or maybe having a shorter time-out on the retry, who knows...
>
> If he only gets the errors under 2.6.x and not 2.4.27 then it looks more
> like a driver issue.  Perhaps his 2.6.x kernel is using the new 'merged'
> SATA+PATA subsystem to handle his PATA drive instead of the old ATA/ATAPI
> driver and that is causing the problem.

It seems like I wasn't clear. Let me try to clarify:

On 2.4.27, I get the CRC errors (not at boot time, later, and all the
time thereafter),
and I've been having them for many years. I mentionned just in case
there might be
a link with my problem. Otherwise, I am not trying to solve this
particular problem.

On 2.6.x, at boot time, errors are reported on the initial filesystem
check. I do
not know if I still have those CRC errors.

I will try to see tonight or tomorrow if I can manage to get some logs
as Douglas
suggested. I will also try to look at what driver is in use also. Looking at my
config-2.6.18 file:

http://www-etud.iro.umontreal.ca/~duranlef/linux-config/config-2.6.18

it's hard to guess. All I know is that all SATA support is disabled.

--
Francois