Re: Bridged Network Question

Douglas Allan Tutty(dtutty@porchlight.ca) is reported to have said:
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 10:45:43PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> > Douglas Allan Tutty(dtutty@porchlight.ca) is reported to have said:
> > > > > >

> You don't need to bridge.
>
> If it were me trying to set this up, here's how I'd do it.  IP numbers
> are examples only.
>
> 		Internet
>
> 		209.181.8.8
> 		    <=>
> 		ppp0
> 		Gateway box, masqurade using iptables
> 		eth0: 192.168.1.1
> 		    <=>
> 		eth0: 192.168.1.2
> 		AP laptop, masqurade using iptables.
> 		ath0: 192.168.2.1
> 		    <=>
> 		wireless0: dhcp e.g. 192.168.2.2
> 		user's laptop
>
> A bridge gives all boxes the same network number but this isn't required
> for your setup.  All your user's laptops would be on network
> 192.168.2.0, and their default gatway would be 192.168.2.1
>
> The only things different from what I do all the time is the dhcp and
> wireless (never used either).  The iptables setup I've always done with
> either ipmasq (no config required) or for more control shorewall.
>
> Good luck, I hope this helps.

It's late, I'm tired but both you and Celejar have got me thinking.

It seems I may have had blinders on.  I see now what you have been
trying to say ( I just re-read all your posts) and you might just be
right.  If I can get some sleep, while running this over in my mind,
I will try it out in the morning.

Thanks guys, you may have made my day.  The old man thanks you and
will report back on the results.

Good Night, and many thanks for all the comments!

Wayne

--
Computers can never replace human stupidity.