Re: Bridged Network Question

Douglas Allan Tutty(dtutty@porchlight.ca) is reported to have said:
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 09:47:58PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> > Douglas Allan Tutty(dtutty@porchlight.ca) is reported to have said:

> I think I understand your setup, although I've never used wireless.  I
> too am on dialup and at one point had a laptop that I connected with a
> serial cable to a box that then connected to the box that had the modem.

The AP laptop -is- connected to the gatway machine via Cat5 cable to
the gateway.

> I set up the access box with NAT at the time by simply installing ipmasq
> and dnsmasq and setting forwarding.  All boxes could access the
> internet.
>
> I never needed bridge and wonder why you're using it.

Because I needed a way to connect the wireles laptops to the internet.
The AP has the the wireless adapter and an ethernet adapter in it do
does what you did with your laptop except it accepts wireless signals
in/out.

> As I understand
> it, bridging is for making stand-alone boxes that perform the same
> function as the various ubiquetous blue ones: routers, switches, etc.
But I didn't have a router/switch and I did have an old laptop.  :-)

> They themselves don't need to access the internet.

As this one can do much more then a switch, it runs Debian you know,
it was an easy choice to make. Getting it to work as an AP alone isn't
all I wanted to do.  It's a PITA to have to reconfigure it to upgrade
but if I can find a way -not- to reconfigure, it will be just great.

> Anyway, if you're happy to bridge, good, but I don't know how to make it
> do what you want.

I'm about as happy with the bridge, as it is now, as I am with my
2.5KBs dialup connection.  ~6 minutes for each Meg downloaded is a
bigger PITA but I don't have any other alternative, currently.

It may not be possible to do what I am trying to do.  I don't know so
that is why it took me 4 months to ask.  Thanks for trying, anyway.

Regards
Wayne

Q. Why is top posting bad?