Re: Bridged Network Question

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 09:47:58PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> Douglas Allan Tutty(dtutty@porchlight.ca) is reported to have said:
> > On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 03:09:48PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> > >
> > > I have been using an old laptop as an Access Point for our laptops to
> > > connect to the internet through the main box -> modem connection.
> > > The Lan (eth0) is bridged with a Netgear WG511U PCMCIA card (ath0) to
> > > connect to the gatway computer.

I think I understand your setup, although I've never used wireless.  I
too am on dialup and at one point had a laptop that I connected with a
serial cable to a box that then connected to the box that had the modem.

I set up the access box with NAT at the time by simply installing ipmasq
and dnsmasq and setting forwarding.  All boxes could access the
internet.

I never needed bridge and wonder why you're using it.  As I understand
it, bridging is for making stand-alone boxes that perform the same
function as the various ubiquetous blue ones: routers, switches, etc.
They themselves don't need to access the internet.

Anyway, if you're happy to bridge, good, but I don't know how to make it
do what you want.

Good luck.

Doug.