Re: Bridged Network Question

Douglas Allan Tutty(dtutty@porchlight.ca) is reported to have said:
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 03:09:48PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> >
> > I have been using an old laptop as an Access Point for our laptops to
> > connect to the internet through the main box -> modem connection.
> > The Lan (eth0) is bridged with a Netgear WG511U PCMCIA card (ath0) to
> > connect to the gatway computer.
> >
> > It works fine, as an AP, but has one problem.  The AP itself can not
> > connect to the internet through the gatway.  The only way to update
> > the AP's software is to change /etc/network/interfaces from the
> > bridged setup to just a Lan setup, reboot, do the update/upgrade,
> > change the interfaces file back to the bridged mode and reboot again.
>
> > I would like to move the AP to an old 500Mhz headless box so that I
> > can setup the firewall and a mailserver, etc on it and free up the
> > laptop.  I can't see how to do that with the above problem.
>
> I've never needed bridge and I'm wondering why you do?  Bridging makes
> the two networks look like one, but expecially when you start
> firewalling, they need to be different.  For details on setting this up,
> read the shorewall-doc package, even if you don't want to use shorewall.

I did not explain this very well then.  :-(

I use the AP laptop to allow our wireless laptops the ability to
access the internet form anywhere on our property.  They connect, via
DHCP, to the AP and the bridge sends them, via ethernet, to the
gateway and thus to the internet.

The AP (bridge) is open to all and the firewall is on the gateway box.
The AP is selective as to which MAC's it allows a connection to.

I have been firewalling since the ipchains era so really have no need
for shorewall.

The problem is, simply, the AP box, which is running testing, can ping
everyone including the internet, BUT, it never receives answers from
the internet.  All the laptops connecting through the AP do not have
any problem getting replies.  I have only read of one other person
having this problem and he never, AFAICT, received a reply.  I must be
doing something wrong, but I know not what.

This would not be the method I would use if I was able to get a
broadband connection here, but as that will not happen while I am alive,
it is best I can do for now.

Sorry for the confusion

Wayne

--
The day-to-day travails of the IBM programmer are so amusing to most
of us who are fortunate enough never to have been one -- like watching