Re: Debian 4.0 on AMD64 and SATA with multi-arch DVD

* Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> 2007-07-31
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 01:07:32PM +0530, Masatran, R. Deepak wrote:
> > I reinstalled Debian using "amd64-expertgui" at the first prompt, using the
> > same DVD. The reinstall completed successfully, but it is unable to boot.
> > When I add to the "kernel" line in GRUB, I get:
> >
> > ADDITION:                    RESULT
> >
> >  1. nothing:                 Kernel panic
> >  2. noapic nolapic:          Kernel panic
> >  3. acpi=off:                SATA internal errors
> >  4. acpi=off noapic nolapic: SATA internal errors
> >
> > "Kernel panic" looks like this:
> >
> >     Code: <pairs of hexadecimal digits>
> >     Console shuts up ...
> >     <0>Kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interrupt handler
> >
> > I could not find any hardware problem. The hard drive is a Seagate 7200.10
> > 300 giga-byte SATA. The whole computer is new.
> >
> > Searching the web showed that similar problems were tackled by
> > adding/removing kernel modules. Can this be solved by adding/removing kernel
> > modules?
>
> if that is the case then you're probably dealing with a situation
> where the proper modules are not being used in the initrd to get the
> root filesystem up. you could boot a live-cd and chroot into the
> system to rebuild the initrd's making sure to include all the modules,
> or at least ensuring that you include the right modules...

I don't know even what "initrd" is, but I have seen it in the GRUB
configuration. Could you give me more detailed instructions, or point me to
some HOWTO?

> > ALSO: I want to try the 486 linux-image, but dpkg refuses to install it,
> > saying that that package is only for I386. How can I install the 486
> > linux-image on my AMD64 computer?
>
> I'm confused. do you have more than one AMD64 computer? or does your
> kernel panic above only happen sometimes?

I bypassed the kernel panic by appending "acpi=off" to the "kernel" line in
GRUB. I pressed Control-C multiple times at the SATA internal errors, but I
don't know if it helped. After a delay, I got a 640x480 X11, though I had
asked for 1280x960. At that time, I tried to install the 486 kernel.

--
Masatran, R. Deepak <http://research.iiit.ac.in/~masatran/>