Re: Debian 4.0 on AMD64 and SATA with multi-arch DVD

* Masatran, R. Deepak <masatran@research.iiit.ac.in> 2007-07-23
> I just installed Debian 4.0, on an AMD64 computer that has a SATA hard
> drive, from the multi-architecture DVD. I used "expert" at the first prompt,
> since "amd64-expert" was giving errors. I chose the 2.6-amd64 kernel during
> installation.
>
> Installation completed successfully, but when it is booted, the console
> locks up, the kernel panics, and it stops responding. I tried some fiddling
> with the parameters in the "kernel" line in GRUB, but it did not help.
> Kindly suggest a solution.

I reinstalled Debian using "amd64-expertgui" at the first prompt, using the
same DVD. The reinstall completed successfully, but it is unable to boot.
When I add to the "kernel" line in GRUB, I get:

ADDITION:                    RESULT

 1. nothing:                 Kernel panic
 2. noapic nolapic:          Kernel panic
 3. acpi=off:                SATA internal errors
 4. acpi=off noapic nolapic: SATA internal errors

"Kernel panic" looks like this:

    Code: <pairs of hexadecimal digits>
    Console shuts up ...
    <0>Kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interrupt handler

I could not find any hardware problem. The hard drive is a Seagate 7200.10
300 giga-byte SATA. The whole computer is new.

Searching the web showed that similar problems were tackled by
adding/removing kernel modules. Can this be solved by adding/removing kernel
modules?

ALSO: I want to try the 486 linux-image, but dpkg refuses to install it,
saying that that package is only for I386. How can I install the 486
linux-image on my AMD64 computer?

--
Masatran, R. Deepak <http://research.iiit.ac.in/~masatran/>